The Endocannabinoid system is a very complex system found in all mammals that helps regulate functions in the body. This complex system is where CBD products act on in the body. This article will explain all about the endocannabinoid system and how it affects your dog’s body.
What is Cannabidiol?
Cannabidiol or CBC is extracted from hemp and marijuana plants. The purity of the CBD depends on the extraction method. There are many ways to extract cannabidiol from plants, with the C02 extraction method being the best. The CO2 extraction method uses carbon dioxide at high pressures and low temperatures to remove the CBD from the plant. This method can be expensive but leave you with a safe product that is free of chlorophyll.
Studies show that CBD can be used for a variety of different things that are found helpful for people and pets. These include:
- Helping the cardiovascular system,
- Treating and preventing side effects of cancer,
- Decreasing pain and inflammation
- Aiding in the treatment of the respiratory system
- Decreasing Glaucoma
What is the Endocannabinoid System?
The Endocannabinoid System is responsible for moderating a variety of processes related to the immune and central nervous systems and helps maintains homeostasis in the body. This system is considered a “meta-system” as it affects all 11 major bodily systems. There are two primary receptors in the endocannabinoid system, CB1, and CB2. CB1 is found mostly in the brain and parts of the nervous systems responsible for pain, movement, or memory. They can also be found it a lesser degree on the pituitary gland, immune cells, reproductive tissues, intestines, heart, lungs, bladder and adrenal glands. CB2 receptors are found in immune cells, tonsils, and spleen. The three different types of cannabinoids affect the CB1 and CB2 receptors; these are:
- Endocannabinoids are naturally found in the body. They are formed in response to an increase in calcium in the cell.
- The female marijuana plant produces Phytocannabinoids.
- Synthetic cannabinoids are manufactured compounds. These are lab-made cannabinoid products.
Both Phytocannabinoids and synthetic cannabinoids act in the body just like naturally occurring endocannabinoids
How does the Endocannabinoid system affect dogs?
CBD oils contain cannabidiols that react with the surfaces of the cells. This interact with endo-and-Phyto cannabinoids will help your dog with the following issues:
- Calm anxiety: CBD products can help decrease anxiety. Some dogs suffer from anxiety when they are away from their owners or during thunderstorms.
- Calm stress: These are great to give dogs who get stressed on car ridesor at the vet’s office. CBD has been shown to calm dogs during stressful events.
- Aid in digestion: CBD products have been shown to help with digestive issues. If your dog is having diarrhea or vomiting, CBD would be a great product to try.
- Reduce swelling: Dogs who are always running will eventually have a swollen and painful joint. CBD products can help reduce this swelling.
- Reduce inflammation: If your dog has recently had surgery, CBD products can be used to reduce inflammation and pain after surgery.
- Reduce joint pain: Dogs who suffer from arthritis and inflammation of the joint can use CBD products to help decrease this pain. Studies have shown that CBD products are great to use with arthritic dogs and do not have the harmful side effects of traditional medications.
- Reduce the effects of insomnia: Some dogs have trouble sleeping at night. Giving your dog CBD products will help them sleep at night.
- Improve skin: Dogs who suffer from allergies can take CBD products to help repair the natural skin barriers. This also helps decrease itchiness
- Possibly fight cancer: CBD can be used to fight cancer and help with the side effect of cancer treatments. Dogs who have cancer also do not want to eat much. CBD has been shown to help increase the dog’s appetite.
Where do I get CBD Oil?
There are many places that you can purchase CBD oils. Many pet stores, healthy food stores, and online pet stores will carry CBD oils for your pet. The old saying you get what you pay for is true with CBD oils. The better quality of CBD products cost more. Make sure to do your research and know where your pet CBD products are coming from. Making sure that the company is using the CO2 extraction method and does 3rd party testing to make sure that you are getting what you are paying for.
SitStay is a great place to get CBD products from. They are known for their high-quality products and backed by a 100% money-back guarantee. When looking for a great source for CBD products, SitStay is a great place to order from.
Whenever looking for CBD products, make sure to do your research, and get good quality products. These products are very beneficial for your pets and can help aid in many different disease processes.
For More Articles Check Out
Meet The Author
Dr. Sara Ochoa DVM
Since she was a little girl, she knew that her dream was to become a veterinarian. With a tremendous passion and love for animals that makes her a great source of knowledge for others. She lives happily with her husband Greg and her babies Ruby the Schnoodle, and Bam-Bam the bunny.